Posted by Jen Hubbard
on Jul 3, 2012 in Kitchen
| 0 comments
Who doesn’t love a creamsicle? They’re the perfect sweet, nostalgic summer treat:) I’ve been on a mission to craft a creamsicle that is delicious, healthy AND easy to make. I found lots of recipes that tasted great but were either loaded with sugar or way too time consuming. Many required heating the ingredients on the stovetop and then cooling the mixture before pouring into molds. The flavors were great, but this is entirely too much effort for an every day popsicle. My favorite recipe has just three ingredients – OJ, yogurt and honey. It can be made in like two minutes (plus freezing of course). They’re all natural, quite healthy and everyone loves them. They were an instant hit in our house and make a refreshing treat for adults and children!
Super Easy Orange Creamsicles
Makes 4-6 popsicles (16 oz total)
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt
- honey to taste
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Mix OJ and yogurt together, I mix them in a large measuring cup to make the mixture easy to pour.
- Sweeten to taste with honey or whatever sweetener you like.
- Pour into popsicle molds and freeze until solid.
- Ingredients – You can use any type of yogurt for this recipe. I like whole fat because it makes the creamiest popsicles. But low/no fat yogurts also work if you don’t mind an icier consistency. You can also make this with plain yogurt, just add a teaspoon of vanilla extract and extra honey.
- Optional flavor enhancements:
- If you want a creamier popsicle, replace some of the yogurt with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream
- If you want extra orange flavor, use orange concentrate instead of regular juice (usually sold in the freezer section) or add a little orange zest or extract.
- For an extra treat, try adding chocolate chips to your pops – white or dark chocolate chips are particularly good. Yum!
Photo Credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/thedelicious/4226295167/